Wednesday, 18 March 2015

#DearMe

Since youtube is doing this #DearMe thing this week, I thought I would do it on my blog! 
Happy International Women's Day!
Enjoy :)

Dear 12 year old Me,

Hey! Whats up? This year is going to be a big year for changes for you. You are preparing to go to a new school and you've decided to start wearing hijab. Well I wanted to write to you to give you some advice. Because boy do you need it right now. I remember the diary posts that you wrote about the awful days at school you had. Wearing the hijab was fairly new to young people and everyone around you didnt get it. Your teacher made fun of you and the boys call you towel head among the many other insults they send your way. It is awful, I know. But I just want to say, be strong. You are an incredible, confident, funny, amazing girl and you are letting people that don't matter get to you. Trust me, here in the future reality hits them hard and yours life turns out pretty good, Alhamdulilah! 
I know that right now, the most important thing to you is to wear what your friends are wearing and to try to impress people but you know deep down that it all makes you uncomfortable and it isn't for you. Your mom is trying so hard to tell you that certain fashion trends wouldn't suit you but you force her to buy it anyway because everyone else is. What happened to you being a tomboy that wore jeans and a hoodie and had a blast on the soccer field and basketball court. Those things made you happy and those clothes were ones you felt comfortable in. 
I know its easier said than done, but you'll soon find out that all those people you thought were your friends were just bullies. They bullied other girls that you liked and you stood by and watched because you were too afraid to defend them. Until it happens to you. Everyone standing there in a mob chanting awful things at you and you will never feel so alone in your life. It hurts so much and you have this gut wrenching feeling inside your stomach like you're about to faint. People who you were friends with and sharing snacks with an hour earlier are now chanting "UGLY" at you as if they've hated you all along. You will be confused and shocked and hurt but I promise things get better. 
You move to a new school and make new friends and while life still kinda sucks up until university, it slowly gets better. You learn how to defend yourself and how to laugh bullies off until they look dumb. You learn to get tough so people don't mess with you anymore. You find outfits and clothes that are unique to you but that make you look good and feel happy wearing. It all gets better, I promise. 
You meet an amazing guy too! Something you thought would litterally never happen actually happened! He did a double take when he saw you and then sat down and talked to you for hours! He showed genuine interest in you and you didn't even realize he liked you until your brother had to point it out. You fight for a future with him and while it was the hardest thing you've had to do, it is so worth it now. 
I just want to say that everything seems tough to you right now but please don't lose yourself in all of it Be strong and keep that confidence that everyone knows you have! Don't let people step on you because you look different or dress different. They are all going through something awful in their lives and they took it out on you. You may not know it but they were hurting and they thought they would feel better by making you feel worse. 
So don't worry now because things will turn out for the better and when you look back at these days, you will laugh!

Sincerely,
   Me (2015)

32 comments:

  1. Awww!! I really liked this post. I think being 12 is a hard age for everyone its an age of where you get confused or you get mislead and influenced by your surroundings.( I know I did!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure, that age was not a good time for me and so I thought I would try this dearme thing and it felt so nice to write it all out! Thanks so much!

      Delete
  2. Love this Post! What a great Idea ,and you write it so beautiful :)

    lovely Greetings

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post! =)

    http://whattostyle.blogspot.com

    xoxo,
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, that's so beautiful. I bet 12-year-old you would be very proud. <3

    xx Bash | Bash Says Hey | bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks hun, you're very sweet!πŸ’œ

      Delete
  5. Bullying is horrible- especially cause of what you believe in. I found this really interesting because I've never been bullied about wearing a head scarf (but have been bullied for size and nationality). Thank you for sharing this. Issues like these need to be talked about so it can be eradicated!
    the-emo-wolverine-writes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! I was bullied for everything you could think of and wearing a scarf waa one of them for sure. It felt nice to write about it and hopefully people can benefit and become more aware of the harsh realities kids go through sometimes.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for your visit and your follow:) i follow you too kiss

    http://denimakeup95.blogspot.it/

    ReplyDelete
  7. great post
    Would you like to follow each other?
    I'll follow back after it
    www.miharujulie.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. This Post is a great Idea! Love this ,you are amazing :)

    Lovely Greetings!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I followed you now

    Www.miharujulie.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. This Post is a great Idea! Beautiful blog!!!
    kiss from Italy
    http://loryschannelmakeupandbeauty.blogspot.it/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing XXX
    Its nice to know what you would have did back then

    http://itsjustwinnie.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much hun! I appreciate that!

      Delete
  12. This is a great post! I have so much advice to give 12 year old me, haha!
    Alexis @ thelittlebrunette.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know haha we all do probably! Thanks so much!

      Delete
  13. Have a lovely day! =)

    http://whattostyle.blogspot.com

    xoxo,
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so sweet and thoughtful. I wish I had done this for myself 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you hun, its never too late to give it a try :)

      Delete
  15. Such a great post.
    Have a beautiful day.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments! I love reading them and I will always reply when I can! <3