Monday, 19 January 2015

How Birth Control Affected My Life

Hello lovely readers! 
Today I have quite the topic to discuss but it has been on my mind for a while and I wanted to vent about it. This post may be a bit TMI so if you're not into it, just don't read. Who knows, maybe someone can benefit from this.

So just a brief run down for anyone who doesn't know how birth control works; birth control is a contraceptive that comes in multiple forms, most commonly in a pill form and it's main purpose or function is to prevent pregnancy. It has other functions as well such as period regulation and acne prevention. 

I got married in October of 2013 and I wasn't planning on having children for a while so I started taking the pill in September. I was taking the brand Alesse and I took it for six months. The first major thing that drastically affected my life was the major weight gain. Based on what I'm used to my weight fluctuates up or down 5 pounds. I have never in my life gained such a substantial amount of weight in such a short period of time. In those 6 months, my weight jumped drastically (to me at least). I even started going to the gym regularly and changed my eating habits to make them better. I tried smaller portions and healthier options. Had I not been on birth control I would have lost so much weight, but since I was on birth control nothing happened. In fact it got worse. 

My attitude was awful, I was angry all the time. I was very negative, depressed and just in a bad place. So I talked to my doctor and she put me on a new pill called Tricylcon Lo. I continued to take this up until last month and since I have been on it things have improved but they still weren't the best. My weight hasn't changed much since I was on Alesse, hasn't gone up or down. My attitude has improved but still not how I was before taking the pill. I still felt like I was super moody. 

The worst part of it all is that I had a severe craving for chocolate 24/7. I have always been a chocoholic and usually I get a high craving for it before my period. I didn't desperately need to have chocolate everyday. But since I was on birth control, and they mess with your hormones, it made it so that I felt I was about to get my period for the whole month long. So I needed chocolate EVERYDAY! It's like being addicted to drugs or something! Its ridiculous!

As of the beginning of the new year I have officially stopped birth control. I know now I am more susceptible to get pregnant but I actually want a baby and if it happens then its meant to be. Already I can feel my attitude changing and my chocolate cravings are less. I went three days without having any and I lived, lool! I feel like I can control my anger when arguing with someone or when I get upset about something. In general I can already see a bit of change. As for my weight, I'm starting to work out and try to knock all this weight off. I know when people see me it doesn't look like I've gained a lot of weight because I'm tall, but I can tell and I want it gone! I feel like I'm renting this crappy body and I want my old one back. Its not even just about the weight its about my health in general. 

Well that's all I got, haha. I just really wanted to talk about this because I feel like for the past year and a bit birth control has ruined my life. Everyone told me stop taking it but I really didn't want to have children and it was the easiest method of birth control so I didn't listen. I hope that my life improves after stopping them because I really couldn't stand myself anymore. Sorry if this was a bit much but I wanted to vent and hopefully anyone that is looking to start taking birth control can read this and either try another method or know what to expect. This was my experience but it could be different than someone else's. All in all if your doctor ever recommends taking Alesse, just beware of the possible side effects.

18 comments:

  1. Great post hun!! I think some people should be aware taking contraceptive pills have pro's and cons.
    Thanks for the awareness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks hun! Im glad you thought it was helpful! Hopefully some people become more aware of what its like to be on birth control! xoxo

      Delete
  2. I loveeeeeeeeee your posts :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thank youu!! xoxo
      Follow me on GFC girl! (AKA the join this site button on the side!)

      Delete
  3. Vent it out, girl!! By all means!! I am extremely sensitive to this type of birth control too- I just can't even do it! I totally relate!
    I hope you feel better.
    xoxo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birth control seriously sucks! Thanks so much! You're so sweet!
      xoxo!

      Delete
  4. Lovely post! :)

    I would like to invite you to my blog! I would be so happy if we support each other on Bloglovin, GFC and Facebook!
    Do it and let me know! xx

    Blog | Facebook Page | Bloglovin | Instagram

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to! Ill follow you back on all those right now! My gfc and bloglovin are on the side! My instagram handle is @jenanjeha

      Delete
  5. aww hope you feel better now without it. Take care sis' and may Allah helps you and make it easier for you in your futur projects <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much hun! Inshallah things will get better! I wish you the best as well!

      Delete
  6. Glad to see a post like this on a beauty blog.
    I do not think it's quite fair to say never take Alesse as birth control is very personal and not every woman can handle particular brands. I have been on Alesse for 10 years and it was actually the second one that I tried because Marvelon made me sick. I was worried about weight gain and mood swings and such, but for ME this brand of birth control has been a life saver. It didn't affect my weight or moods. The way it affected you and the way it affected me just goes to show how personal these can be. I do not think it is quite correct to blast a particular birth control brand just because it did not work for you, but I applaud you for sharing your experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading my post. I guess I went a little too hard in my rant because I was venting. It really is interesting how different a brand of birth control can work for different people. I am frustrated with this brand because it drastically changed my appearance and my size to the point that I couldn't believe a product like this could do that. Either way I can erase some of the major negativity because I was really venting and probably got carried away. Thank you for your comment.

      Delete
  7. Thank you so much for sharing Jenan!I know its not easy being so honest lol but you did it!In shaa allah everything will work out for the best <3 May Allah (sw) make things easy for you and grant you cute babies!Ameen! :D
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww I hope to have very cute babies!! haha thanks so much for reading! I love being honest with girls about these things and hopefully someone can benefit! <3

      Delete
  8. Interesting post! I would suggest including a link to the official site for this pill or maybe a site that is for birth control in general to let people know what their options are and what the possible side effects are for any type. I've been on birth control for over 3 years and have not had any issues such as yours. I take Seasonique (aka Seasonale, Camrese, Jolessa etc.). It's the one you that allows you to have only 4 menstrual cycles per year. My sisters have had bad experiences in the past with the Depo shot and weight gain so I made sure to avoid that. I suffer from migraines and birth control is known to either possibly help or make it worse but I took the chance. In the first month, I did have one of the worse migraines of my life but it got better. I didn't notice any significant weight gain. I always fluctuate 5 lbs or so and I am still in the same range. Also didn't notice my moods being any different as well. So it's just important to check into the various kinds before you settle on one and to know that everyone will react differently so one person's success may not be the same for you. But it's good to hear you're in a better place now and good luck on the baby front lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely might do that! I did notice Alesse gave me migraines as well, I used to have to take heavy painkillers to stop them. Glad you didnt have any issues on your birth control! Thanks for sharing your experience as well and for checking out my blog!

      Delete
  9. So, I don't take birth control because I don't have a need for it (yet), but I HAD to comment when I read "I actually want a baby"! Eeeek!!! I'm so excited for you and you're not even pregnant yet, lol!! May Allah provide you with babies as soon as the time is right insha Allah. I'm sure you'll be a wonderful mother! xx

    Rukaiya | Muslim in the Big City

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you Rukaiya! I am looking forward to getting pregnant inshallah! Hasn't happened yet but I will let you know if it does! Thanks so much for your sweet words!

      Delete

Thanks so much for your comments! I love reading them and I will always reply when I can! <3